Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Big boy football

The only people that enjoyed watching the BCS National Championship game Monday night are people who love Alabama football or love watching great defenses. Luckily for me, the main thing I really love about football is watching great defenses, and Alabama made a case for having one of the best collegiate defenses of all time.
The only thing to me that is hurting their case is the fact that LSU’s offense isn’t exactly Oregon’s or Oklahoma State’s, who may have put up more than a 100 yards of total offense in this game and possibly scored a touchdown, but I’m not sure that’s a given against this defense.
Coached by one of the greatest defensive minds, Nick Saban had this team prepared for anything and everything LSU may or may not have thrown at them. It would have been the same way no matter who they were playing because great defenses stop great offenses, especially when you have 44 days to prepare for it, which is a joke that we had to wait that long to see this game that should have been played weeks ago. (Side Note: The whole BCS system and bowl system is ridiculous and should be reconstructed)
People want to complain about how boring this game was and how it is one of the least exciting championship games of ever, which could all be legitimate arguments, but it’s not because these weren’t two great teams, it’s because Alabama just dominated their opponent. And really this was a two possession game until Trent scored the first touchdown of the two games the teams played this season with four minutes left in the game. But Alabama’s surging defense just killed the will of LSU and you could see it in their play and in their faces. They had no chance.
You can have your fancy formations, fast-paced spread attacks and 100 point games, these two teams where playing for the national championship because they dominate on defense and teams and fans that want to complain about how boring the game was needs to take note and realize what it takes to be a champion.
Even Auburn, who ran a so-called fast pace high scoring offense, slowed down their game plan and went back to the basics to slow down Oregon who tried to still run their fast-paced offense and ended up losing. I think most people would agree that it was Auburn’s defense, not offense that won them that national championship.
You can argue offense and defense all day, but the fact remains that the teams that play “big boy” football will more than likely win the game. That’s the reason the SEC has won a billion championships in a row. They recruit a lot of big boys to plug up the holes upfront, thus making teams one dimensional against them. Then when you have defensive backs like Mathieu, Baron, Kirkpatrick, Claiborne, etc. it makes it virtually impossible for an offense to do anything. So you may not have liked the game that took place Monday night, but you better hope your school’s coach was watching because the recipe for success, and long term success at that, was put on full display.
This may sound silly, but maybe guys will understand this strategy. I’ve played NCAA Football for years and whenever I’m building my team I always recruit the best corners that are going to lock down receivers. Once I’ve built them up, I work on my linebackers to stop the run. I don’t play a pretty game, but I’ve always kept myself in a game because teams can’t score on me. This is the same philosophy Saban and Les Miles use. The bend but don’t break method. While people were screaming for a touchdown Monday night, Saban was playing it safe whenever he got in field goal range and was satisfied with three points. It’s not pretty or exciting, but it wins championships.
I hope there still aren’t people out there trying to debate who the number one team in the nation is, because I think Alabama overwhelmingly proved that Monday night, but I would LOVE to see this defense go up against an Oklahoma St. Of course that will never happen because we don’t have a playoff system in place.
As seen in the aftermath of haters of either Alabama or this game, there will be a change soon in the way the champion is determined in college football. And I’m willing to bet when that change is made, more often than not the team that has the best defense will come out on top.

You can follow Jake on Twitter at: @j8a1k0e

4 comments:

  1. Good post Jake. All joking aside, that was utter domination. I didn't like the game plan of LSU and thought Jeffersons attitude was sickening on the sidelines, but at the end of the day, I don't think theres an offense from any team this year that would've put up many points against bama last night.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jake. You are my new favorite blogger. Glad to see you writing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dunc, I agree. I thought LSU would change it up at some point, but that's the way they've played all year. They stick to their game plan and hope that the other team makes mistakes they can capitalize on, which is how they won the first game. Alabama just didn't make ANY mistakes in this game. I understand how this game was boring for most fans because it was so frustrating to see LSU just not put up any fight. Their attitudes on the sideline and on the field just looked pathetic and sad.
    My dad was frustrated with the media last night that was calling this game boring and horrible. I had to explain to him that looking at this game outside of the eyes of an Alabama fan it was pretty excruciating to watch. As an Alabama, it's a game you'll want to watch over and over again because never in my short life have I seen a team just utterly dominate another team in a game of such high stakes. It was truly incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Geni, thanks for your support. I enjoy writing when I have the free time. I hope you’re doing well and I know you enjoyed the game Monday night.

    ReplyDelete