Monday, February 20, 2012

Another Jeremy Lin story; Are we too sensitive?

I can’t lie; I’ve yet to watch the NBA’s new sensation play. It’s not because I don’t want to, but every time he’s been on TV I’ve had other obligations. I was hoping to see him play before Carmelo came back but now I don’t think that’s going to happen so I really can’t comment on his abilities.

What I can comment on is the amount of attention he is getting and the latest controversial headlines from ESPN.
Over the weekend a very distasteful headline was posted on EPSN’s mobile website. I won’t repeat the headline but I’m sure you’ve all seen it or heard about it. The employee has since been dismissed from the network even after saying he unknowingly used the racial slur in a headline.
Linsanity is not only causing a stir on the basketball court, it’s even affecting the lives of hard working Americans. I’m not going to try and take up for the guy, but he was a 28 year old editor who may or may not have known what he was doing.
ESPN should punish themselves for allowing such a young kid to have that much so say. As an editor myself, headlines and stories alike are to be read by at least two people before being published. And if something goes wrong the blame should be put on all parties involved.
But that’s beside the point I wanted to make, which is; are athletes and teams too sensitive? I believe we as fans have the right to yell, scream and hold up signs at games. I don’t encourage inappropriate behavior, and in fact I hate sitting beside it, but we pay a good bit of money to watch these athletes play a sport so I think we should be able to let our emotions be heard during and after the game. Whether it’s on Twitter or a blog, we have the right to let our comments be heard.
Just because Lin is a certain race should we have to watch how we criticize him anymore than Tim Tebow or LeBron James? He’s an athlete, getting paid to play a pretty easy sport. When and if the criticism does start to flow his way I hope it’s because of his play on the court and not because of the color of his skin.
Now back to the ESPN situation. People make mistakes. I hear them made all time, but when Jon Gruden or another famous athlete that takes the jobs of hard work communication majors makes a mistake on TV there is nothing more than a quiet apology. But because this was some no-name editor working the night shift you just up and make him unemployed.!?
I’ve made mistakes as an editor, it’s going to happen. But I almost never make the same mistake twice. This kid’s life was ruined because of the insensitivity from ESPN and a FEW people that might have been reading this website at 2 a.m. Yes, it’s the editor’s job to make sure things like this don’t happen and some sort of punishment needed to be put in place. I just think in this instance it was a little too harsh.
I hope the media continues to cover this Lin story with an open mind, but it’s the duty of an editor and company to draw people’s attention to an article. There is a more creative and effective way to do that than by using offensive language.  
You can follow Jake on Twitter at: @j8a1k0e or on his MLB Braves blog at: http://bravesandmore.mlblogs.com

No comments:

Post a Comment