Friday, March 2, 2012

The good and bad about expanded playoffs


Even though I’m still young, I’m a traditionalist when it comes to baseball and its rules. I don’t like seeing change in a game I’m already in love with and, if anything, I would like to see it start working its way back to the way it was in the early 1900’s. 

I’ve always been in favor of the best teams from each league playing each other for the World Series. These teams battle for 162 games just to see some team get hot in October and take the crown. The course of the season should be long enough to tell who the best team in each league is. 

But we live in a world where money rules all and a society who is constantly wanting more. The game has to change to succeed in this country, I know that, but that doesn’t mean I have to agree with it. Here is a recent quote from Chipper Jones on MLB.com in an article by Mark Bowman that pretty much sums up my thoughts on the whole expanded playoff situation:

"I'm not for it," Jones said. "I think the elite teams deserve to make it to the playoffs. Pretty soon, Major League Baseball is going to be like the NBA. There will be more teams that make it than don't. The season is too long as it is. Now you're going to give teams more travel. I don't agree with it, but we're just a piece of meat. We do what they tell us to."

That’s exactly the way I feel. I hate the fact that over half the league makes the playoffs in the NBA and NHL. Even in football you can have teams with .500 records making it into the postseason. For baseball it’s a great accomplishment to just make it into the postseason. In other sports it almost seems meaningless and I hope that doesn’t happen to baseball. 

Now those are the negatives. There is a great positive to all this that really makes the game a lot better, and that’s the fact that the Wild Card team will be at a great disadvantage in the playoffs. Having to play a one game playoff and possibly use your ace to win that game and maybe even have to travel across the country would definitely hurt the Wild Card. 

I’ve watched too many teams over the course of the Wild Card era start playing good baseball in September and then come roaring into the playoffs while the division winner hasn’t been playing meaningful baseball for several weeks. 

There are many reasons Braves’ teams in the ‘90s didn’t win more championships, but I honestly believe their lack of success in the postseason was due to the fact that they spent the last two weeks of the season resting and getting prepared for the postseason. Meanwhile Wild Card teams like the Cardinals and Marlins were playing playoff games night after night just to try and make the postseason. 

Look at the Phillies last season. They used their last couple of weeks of the season resting getting prepared for the playoffs. While they did sweep the Braves to end the year and kept them out of the playoffs, they weren’t playing meaningful games or worrying about the outcome. The Cardinals, however, were playing for their lives every night so they were more prepared for playoff baseball. 

This new system will put more emphasis on winning the division so teams like the Yankees don’t just give up at the end of the year and settle for the Wild Card. It will put those teams that do win the Wild Card at a disadvantage, which is great because I believe you shouldn’t be allowed in the playoffs anyway if you don’t win your division. 

So there are pros and cons to the new system. Nobody was particularly happy when baseball expanded to eight teams but that worked out well. For the casual fan and the lower market teams this will be a great move. But for those who don’t want to lose the historic tradition of the game, this is just a small step towards change. 

I hope this stays a one game series and doesn’t expand anymore. Change is inevitable and I’m sure we’ll come up with something different in the future. Nothing will ever be perfect and at the end of the day this is still a great game and I’m going to watch it no matter what. I hope the positives of this plan outweigh the negatives and we can look forward to a play-in game every year like they have for the NCAA Tournament. 

You can follow Jake on Twitter at: @j8a1k0e or on his MLB Braves blog at: http://bravesandmore.mlblogs.com

No comments:

Post a Comment