Thursday, March 15, 2012

What a day for sports: College basketball, Crosby returns and MLB on TV

I woke up with a smile on my face as I normally do on Thursday because it’s usually my favorite day of the week. This time my grin was a tad bit larger and for a very good reason. 

Today kicks off one of the best days of the sports season and this year there is added reason for it to be even more exciting. Not only will the NCAA Tournament kick off today (I don’t count those pointless play-in games), but Sidney Crosby is “supposed” to be returning to the ice against the Rangers and more spring training games are starting to be televised. 

NCAA Tournament
I know there have already been several articles hyping up the best tournament in sports, but now that the day is here I’m truly thrilled to watch some college basketball. The first weekend is always the best as there are games on all day and you’re bound to see a great finish. 

This is when the amazing upsets happen and where Cinderella teams get their starts. I even went as far as to download the March Madness app on my phone so I can watch games while at work. 

If you’ve filled out a bracket you already have an interest in this tournament and that thrill of keeping your bracket clean for as long as possible is pretty awesome. I’ve never made it that far in the tournament without losing a game, but I hear it’s exciting when you’re 16 games in and you’ve still got every game correct. 

The excitement level of these games are so high because you know the season is over with a loss and every win gets you last much closer to the Sweet Sixteen, Elite Eight and hopefully the Final Four. It all starts today. 

Crosby makes his second return to the ice
Let’s all be honest, hockey just isn’t as exciting (to the casual fan) without it’s poster child actually being on the ice. We’ve all started to become frustrated with the injuries of Sidney Crosby but there is no denying that when he is on the ice we all want to stop and watch. 

Not only will he be making his second return to hockey this season, but it will be against the New York Rangers who have been one of the best teams in hockey all season. This will be a great matchup of two of the best teams in the league (the Penguins just took the top spot from the Rangers in ESPN’s power rankings). 

This will be great for hockey fans and the sport in general to have “Sid the Kid” back out on the ice dominating. I hope where ever I’m watching the tournament at tonight will also be carrying this game because I can’t wait to watch it. 

Spring Training on TV
I know Spring Training has been going on for a couple of weeks now, but we are getting closer to having full rosters and more games are being broadcast on TV. Fans are getting their first look at this year’s squad and as the first round of cuts are made this weekend rosters are beginning to take form. 

The next best thing to being at a Spring Training game is being able to watch one on TV. They are more relaxed and seeing the Florida or Arizona sunshine in the back drop just brings smiles to your face knowing that soon the boys of summer will be back on the field. 

Oh what a happy day for sports indeed. You couldn’t beat the excitement out of me. I can’t wait to sit down and enjoy this glorious day for all sports fans. Enjoy it. 

You can follow Jake on Twitter at: @j8a1k0e or on his MLB Braves blog at: http://bravesandmore.mlblogs.com

No comments:

Post a Comment